We’re thrilled that you’re considering applying to be a Holy Child Volunteer! It is a once in a lifetime opportunity that will enrich you in ways you never imagined. Before completing the application process, please note that Holy Child Volunteers must be:
- Women, men or married couples without dependents
- At least 21 years of age.
- A college degree is normally required.
- Proficient in Spanish (You will need to pass our language screening. All teaching and staff communication is conducted in Spanish.)
- Willing to commit to community living including regular prayer reflections, shared meals, household responsibilities, retreats, and service in the batey.
If you meet these requirements, please follow the four-step application process below.
Please note, applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis.
Step 1: Complete the Online Application
You can complete your application online. You will first be asked to enter your name and e-mail address. Then you will be provided with a link to follow to complete the application. At the end of any page in the application, you may click the “Save & Continue to Next Page button.” Once you click that button, your work on that page has been saved and you may continue to the next page or you may close out the application and return to later to complete it by following the same link. The online application includes several sections:
- Personal information
- Personal History
- English Essay, 2-3 pages in length: Describe why you want to live in a spiritual community, what do the three Holy Child Volunteers values of God among us, commitment to community, and reverence of the individual mean to you; how do you see yourself living these values both now and next year, and describe a time when you faced a challenging situation and had to confront failure. Briefly describe the situation and your reaction.
- Spanish Essay, 1-2 pages in length: Describe why you want to serve with Holy Child Volunteers and what you can offer as a volunteer, what you hope to learn from and contribute to your placement and how you may be effective in doing so, and what gifts and talents can you bring to the Holy Child Volunteers program.
When filling in the application, know that any field with a red asterisk by it must be completed. If a field does not apply to you, but is required, simply put n/a.
Step 2: Official transcript
Have your college or university mail your transcript to:
Holy Child Volunteers
ATTN: Jennifer Staff
1341 Montgomery Avenue
Rosemont, PA 19010
Step 3: References
On the online application, you will list three references (Teacher, Employer, and Campus Minister, Religious Leader, or Service Leader) and their contact information. However, please direct your references to this form to complete their recommendations of you.
Step 4: Complete the Montessori School Observation Form
Holy Child Volunteers requires applicants interested in service in the Dominican Republic to visit a Montessori school so as to observe the environment to get a sense of their possible placement site and complete the Montessori School Observation Form. The objective of this observation is to give potential volunteers exposure to a Montessori class before they join the Holy Child Volunteers program.
For this observation, we ask that you spend at least two hours in the class to get an idea of what it is like to be in a Montessori classroom. We hope you will gain a better understanding of our school in the Dominican Republic, and thus be more informed in deciding if it is a good match with your strengths and interests. While this observation will only be a glimpse of what the school is like, it will be a start towards familiarizing yourself with your potential placement.
Past Holy Child Volunteers have agreed that conducting this visit was a valuable addition to their application process. Once you have completed your observation, please fill out and submit this form.
Upon receipt of your completed application, official transcript, three recommendations, and the Montessori Evaluation Form, you will be contacted for a phone interview, during which we invite you to bring any questions or concerns you may have about the program. In the meantime, if you have any questions about Holy Child Volunteers or the application process, please do not hesitate to contact Jennifer Staff, our Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-925-5729.
If accepted to the program, please be aware that:
- Volunteers are required to provide their own round trip airfare to the summer Orientation and to the Dominican Republic.
- Volunteers are asked to participate in fundraising to offset orientation, training, and operating costs.
- Criminal background check and required clearances must be completed before training begins.